Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Clay Review...

So...I have been trying to find a nice clay to sculpt with (that I like) and this has been extremely frustrating :(

A couple of years ago I bought some Chevant Clay in Medium and Hard...OMG I Love this stuff...But, it is sulphur based and it smells horrible :( You just cannot get it off your hands and they smell like stinky sulphur for a few days....I did eventually figure out that if you wash really well with lemon scented comet, it takes the smell off pretty good. (I almost typed Lemon Flavored Comet LOLOL) Anyway...This clay sculpts so nice, it is so smooth, never stuck to my tools and it smooths out really well with alcohol or mineral spirits. I just cannot stand the smell so I bought something new...

My new resin "Jewel" was sculpted with Super Sculpey Firm. This stuff is really nice! Also, you do not have to worry about making waste castings, since the clay is baked. However, It is just not hard enough :( I do like the fact that you can sculpt parts and then bake it, then continue sculpting again and the baked parts will not get ruined. Keep in mind though, unbaked Sculpey does not stick well at all to baked Sculpey so it is very hard to get the two parts to blend together. Besides those two things, I loved it. So...

...Onto Chevant Le Beau Touche'...OMG. Nightmare.
This clay sticks to the armature and almost everything else really well...that is the good thing about it. BUT, it also sticks to all of your tools! The surface grabs and you just cannot smooth it out with tools at all unless you use a solvent. Then, it turns to rust colored pudding. I have no clue how anyone uses this stuff. I guess if you are using your fingers mainly and you don't have much carving off and smoothing to do with tools, you would be ok. I tried freezing my tools, heating them, and everything else I could think of...just not good :(

I have now ordered a sample pack of several Non-Sulphur Clays made by Chevant...hopefully they will be here really soon! I will test them all out and see which one I like best. If none of them are comparable to the sulphur based, as far as smoothness and workability, I will probably go back to Sculpey Firm. I will update when I get my samples :)

I hope this information helps someone!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hey Lora,
Just as a helpful blip on sculpting with sculpey, after you bake and you try to add more and it doesn't stick well, I've found out that if you do a light coat of Vaseline on the baked parts, it'll help it stick :)
Hope that helps

Speiser Studio said...

Thanks Katie! I will definitely try that!